StatCounter

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Singing Bee

Tomorrow is the fourth Sunday of a five Sunday month, which means the children know the song I am teaching (Have I Done Any Good?) quite well, and we are ready to have some fun with it!

I know others have posted this, I am not sure of the original source. It's definitely a favorite of mine. 

Singing Bee

You will need:
  • A microphone, or even a hairbrush microphone if you have a small primary. I have a little karaoke player that would work too, but I like to use a regular microphone that plugs into the room's PA system.  I just check it out from the ward library. Set up your microphone on a microphone stand at the front of the room, short...for little ones.


To play:
Say the children, "Raise your hand if you know the words to Have I Done Any Good?, really, really well." Then ask,  "If you would like to sing a solo today from the song, Have I Done Any Good?, using the microphone, please raise your hand." Lots of children in my primary usually raise their hands, but that is because there are about 100 children (divided between jr. and sr.). So I choose from one class at a time. I start with the youngest class, the 3-4 year olds, and choose four or five of them to come up to the front with me, and stand in a line behind the microphone. (I have that many come up at a time to cause less commotion, and we can whip through things faster than calling them up one at a time).

Explain to the children,"We will all start singing the song together. When I cut everyone off, like this: (show them what your "cut off" is like, and of course, be dramatic!) we'll all stop singing, but whoever is at the microphone gets to sing the next phrase of the song all by themselves using the microphone, and then they return to their seat."

Sometimes a child at the microphone is scared and can't sing, or doesn't know the words at all! This is when I sing it with them, or whisper sing the next phrase in their ear, and they repeat it into the microphone. I encourage all the children to clap for each child, (and I say "Yaaaaay!" and clap) after they have done their solo.

After the 3-4 year olds have taken their turn, I move on to the next older class.

It's a lot of fun, especially hearing these young voices sing out! It's also a great way to find out who might be willing to sing a solo or sing in a group for the Sacrament Meeting Presentation.

Have Fun!

2 comments :

  1. What a fun way to review! I know our primary would love it they ALL want solos and so I try to put them all into small groups to sing second verses etc. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if it isn't an original idea, I can just picture the fun you all have. You're really good at this, Bridges!

    ReplyDelete