StatCounter

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Riddles Review

Because we are having stake conference in two weeks, and because I want to start Praise to the Man a week early (next week), and because the children have learned our April song so quickly (Reverence is Love), I am doing my End of the Month Review tomorrow. It’s a little bit of fun I am calling:

Riddles Review

Basically, each song I will be reviewing comes with a “Challenge”.  We will sing the songs on my review list in order, and I will explain each song’s challenge before singing so the children can try their best to win as a class. The class that wins the challenge for the song sung gets to send their teacher to the front to answer a riddle. (Each class should get at least one turn.) The teacher will get 15 seconds to answer the riddle, at which time I will ring a bell and demand ask for an answer. If the teacher is able to answer the riddle (don’t worry, they won’t*), they get to choose a bag with an object in it for me to wear during singing time. If the teacher is unable to answer the riddle, or gives an incorrect answer (which is, of course, the objective), I will choose a bag containing the object that they must wear until singing time is over.


*After doing this activity in Senior Primary, and ending up wearing most of the props myself, I highly recommend much more difficult riddles! The kids were really smart and told the teachers the answers! LOL

Prep:
1. Decide which songs to review. I am using the songs we have learned for the Sacrament Meeting Program (in blue) and adding a couple of Easter songs (in purple).  Each song’s challenge is attached. Here’s my list:

If I Listen with My Heart   
Challenge: Class where ALL the children in the class sing.

I will Follow God’s Plan   
Challenge: Class that knows all the words without looking at the flipchart.

Stand for the Right    
Challenge: Class that tries their hardest even thought they might not know all the words.

Reverence is Love   
Challenge: Class that sing most reverently. 

Scripture Power   
Challenge: Class that sings while smiling the most.

The Iron Rod   
Challenge: Class that sings most energetically.

He Sent His Son 
Challenge: Class that follows the chorister’s directions most exactly.

Did Jesus Really Live Again?   
Challenge: Teacher sings very well and set a good example for the children.


2. Gather *silly dress-up items and put each one in large paper bags. Since I have 8 songs, I will need 8 bags. So you will need as many bags as you have songs. I am using big brown paper bags, but you could use gift bags, or empty boxes, just whatever you have.
*I try not to include gender specific items. 

Here are some ideas:
  • Funny hat(s)
  • Huge toy sunglasses
  • Kimono 
  • Hawaiian sarong
  • Wig 
  • Snorkeling goggles
  • Apron
  • Ugly tie
  • Trench coat 
 
3.  Prepare a list of as many difficult riddles as you have songs. Here is my list of riddles ( I found them here ):


What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries? 
A towel.

You throw away the outside and cook the inside. Then you eat the outside and throw away the inside. What did you eat? 
Corn on the cob

What goes up and down the stairs without moving? 
A Rug.

I can run but not walk. Wherever I go, thought follows close behind. What am I?   
A Nose.

What goes around the world but stays in a corner? 
A Stamp.

Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I? 
Fire.

If you say my name I cease to exist. What am I? 
Silence.

I am weightless, but you can see me. Put me in a bucket, and I'll make it lighter. What am I? 
A Bucket.

Be sure to act very sorry and sympathetically when the teachers don't answer the riddles correctly. If they by some miracle (for them) do happen to answer a riddle correctly, express great chagrin in having to wear a bagged item for yourself!

Have fun!

2 comments :

  1. Hi, I was just called as the Primary Music Leader and I am so happy to see your blog! Is there any way you can email me the editable version of your calendar for the year??(email: bellyrina1@yahoo.com) I would love to have something like that to work with.....I will definitely be using more of your great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete