StatCounter

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sing Off

This Sunday for singing time we are going to have a Sing Off!

I will have slips of paper under the bells with names of the songs we will be singing.

 I will have ways to sing the songs taped on slips of paper on the back of these snowflakes from my Christmas tree.
 I plan on suspending the snowflakes from the ceiling.

It doesn't matter what props you use, just as long as the children have one way to choose songs, and another way to choose how they are sung.

How to play:
Choose a class to come up to the front with their teacher. Ask one child from the class to choose a song for their class to sing by picking a song under a bell, and ask another child to choose how they will sing the song by choosing a snowflake. Then have the class "perform" the song that was chosen the way that is written on the snowflake, for the other Primary classes. After the class is finished with their song, move on to the next class until each class has had a turn to perform.

My List of Songs:
  • Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus p. 36
  • Away in a Manger p. 42
  • Once There Was a Snowman p. 249
  • Silent Night,  Hymns 204
  • Scripture Power
  • When Joseph Went to Bethlehem p. 38


Ways to sing:
  • Pantomime actions
  • Sing and Ring (I have enough bells for one class to ring them together)
  • Clap-Clap (Clap knees twice, then clap hands once or twice depending on the time signature)
  • Live Nativity (Choose class members to be Nativity members while they perform the song.)
  • Orchestra (Use bells, chimes, washboard, pan lids, recorders, maracas, rattles, etc. to combines sounds while they sing.)
  • Chain (Have the class link elbows and sway back and forth to the music as they sing.)
Normally, I would have mixed in a few silly ways to sing the songs, but because these are mostly sacred Christmas songs and I want to the mood to be a little more reverent,  I have chosen  more reverent ways to sing.

Do you have any ideas for ways to sing songs reverently? Please comment!

Have fun!

4 comments :

  1. Thank you thank you! I have been trying to think of what to do for church tomorrow. Now I know what I am going to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea! I love the WAYS that you have chosen to sing the best. My favorite one is your orchestra way. Have a blast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having the kids "whisper-sing"---singing very softly; it brings a real feeling of reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year in Sacrament our ward music leader had some wind chimes as part of the Christmas day music program. I'm not sure that it is within the guidelines in the handbook for that meeting but was beautifully played. I have several Christmas songs color coded to the wind chimes just for the December singing time. It is fun and a good variety to the music for singing time. It has rules but they are willing to obey just for the opportunity of something different.

    ReplyDelete