StatCounter

Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 Music Schedule

I recently polled my visitors:
"In Sacrament Meeting" was sort of supposed to be, well, funny, because really, I. AM. HUMAN. I'm often so caught up in my life or in the lives of my children, that I just don't get my primary things done by 9:00 AM on a Sunday morning! (Or, pathetically, by 1:00 PM on a Sunday afternoon.) So when I took my own poll, I marked "In Sacrament Meeting", as well as "Weekly" and "Yearly", Cuz...sometimes...Sacrament Meeting is all I have left! Now, before you shake your head and tsk-tsk at me, know this:

I am also a control freak, not a perfectionist, mind you, (there's a big difference!) but a CONTROL freak. I have a need for order. So, yes, I am one of those people who plan a whole year in advance. For primary music.

So, here it is, *...drum roll*... my planned out, imperfect, extremely flexible music schedule for 2011. I have done this same format for two years previous. My presidency loves me for it. I copy one for each of them as well as the pianist.
                                                              
I have not included the "songs of choice" for April or June in this copy. Also, my stake conference schedule will likely be different from yours, but if you would like to have a copy of this actual schedule, feel free to download this non-editable PDF:

Primary Schedule 2011.pdf

If you would like to have the editable version, it is possible if you have the program it was created in; Microsoft Office Publisher (which you will have if you own the Microsoft Office Suite). Email me at bridgettepatterson@gmail.com for a copy of the Publisher version.

We have about 100 children in our primary, so we are divided into Junior and Senior primaries. My Sunday schedule goes something like this:

After Sacrament Meeting, before Junior Primary Opening Exercises starts, (sort of a chaotic time, right?) I jump right into singing the prelude wiggle songs. We add more songs,  or sing less, depending on the cue from the presidency member who is conducting. It really quiets the children down and brings everyone's attention to the front of the room.

After a welcome from the presidency member, we have the scripture, the reverence song, prayer, and talks. Immediately following we have the welcome song for new children or visitors, and then the birthday song for those who had a birthday in the past week. Next we have a wiggle song, and then another reverence song to quiet the children and prepare them for Sharing Time. After Sharing Time, we have Singing Time, where we work on the songs of the month.

After Singing Time with Junior Primary, I go directly into the nursery and sing fun songs with them for 10 minutes. 

When I return to the Primary room, the Senior Primary children are already having their Sharing Time. When their Sharing Time is over, I'm up again for Singing Time. After my time is up, we go directly into Senior Primary Closing Exercises. We do the welcome song and the birthday song first. Then we have the talks, the Scripture, the reverence song, and the closing prayer. So the difference between the two groups for me is that the Senior Primary does not have the prelude wiggle songs, the wiggle song (after the birthday song), nor the second reverence song.

Ahhhh.....Clear as mud?

30 comments :

  1. You are amazing! Thanks so much for sharing all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gives me some things to think about. Our primary has done two opening exercises, but I think it would be nice to change things up a bit for Sr. Primary kids and have closing exercises for them.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question - with the new change in the schedule, are you still having opening or closing exercises? I thought that it was no longer part of primary. Our Sr. primary children will be going right to their classes after Sacrament meeting, and then they come to the primary room during the 3rd hour for sharing/singing time. Jr. primary will be the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just called to this calling and am feeling a little anxious about how to schedule it all out. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the nice compliments everyone. :)

    Emily, We are still doing opening/closing exercises in our Primary. I read the handbook today, I didn't see anything that I interpreted as omitting closing/opening exercises. Doesn't say it is required, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In regard to the opening/closing exercises. I got the impression that while were not calling them that, we were encouraged to have scriptures, occasional talks, and we need to recognize birthdays and visitors... which kind of turns into and opening/closing just by nature. :)

    Bridgette, your outline is amazing and impressive and inspirational. I'm so tempted to print it and just copy you song for song, but instead I'll create our own... but wish I was as cool as you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a Lifesaver! I just got called to this calling on Sunday and have been sooo overwhelmed until I found this schedule. Thanks for being willing to share all your hard work. From one to another, I love control freaks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You rock! Thanks for letting me use your hard work. I showed the If I Listen With My Heart video on Sunday to the senior primary and I feel like they really felt the Spirit. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa, LOL...just ask my teenagers...I'm not THAT cool. Thanks. :)

    Rachel, Control freaks, unite!

    Eve, Thanks! I am so happy to hear you had success (technically and spiritually)! Our primary children enjoyed it here, too. I think the Senior Primary children nearly have the song memorized. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey - are you by some miracle working with a full 30 hour day?! How do you do all that you do? You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow - you are incredible!! Thank you so much for sharing. I was just put in last week as the chorister and I'm scared to death! My friend told me about your blog and now I am so excited! Would you mind emailing me the editable version?? amblarsenphotos@yahoo.com

    Thank you again!! Really, this is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I forgot to add.....THANKS FOR THE Primary music schedule....it is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, I had to remove my comment because I feel like a complete idiot. I didn't read the rest of your post and it answered all my questions about how you go between the Senior and Junior opening/closing exercises...etc. etc.

    THANKS AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  14. could you please send me an editable version. I love this idea! It is perfect for a scatter brain like me.
    salliwarner@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. BETH! HA! I wish! Thanks for your faith in me. :)Did you play the video for {I}? She was such a great singer on Sunday, and I forgot to mention to Jr. Primary that their parents could contact me if they wanted to get the web address to watch the video at home. Oops!

    Amb & Sally, Thanks so much! Happy to share. Check your inboxes!

    Cori, you remind me of ME! Glad I answered it for you. :) And thanks for the nice things you said.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I know I posted earlier...but now I've decided a need an editable one I love it so much! Would you mind zipping it over to me rachelsbennett@yahoo.com. You are truly a lifesaver. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the video! It really brought a nice spirit into my home and I can't wait to share it with our primary. The schedule is perfect as well. Would you mind sending me an editable version to mistydemas@yahoo.com? Thank you for all of the time you dedicate to your calling :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Thank you for all the wonderful ideas you always give me. I was also wondering if you would mind sending me an edible version to wclissold@gmail.com. Thank you so so much! I am on my husbands account, hence the name. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much~ this outline will be a lifesaver for our small branch primary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I might be a moron - I am trying to open your file as a pdf on my macbook - and it seems to not convert. What format is your file in? Or are you a brilliant computer technician also and can walk me through it!?

    I certainly enjoy your site - appreciate your creative work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks again everyone! Check your inbox if you left your email address.

    Michelle, no, you are not a moron! LOL! Email me at bridgettepatterson@gmail.com and I will email the files directly, hopefully that will do it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you PLEASE send me a copy of this? It looks great. I got called a couple months ago and it's been a little overwhelming. This would help a TON!

    kendrad.goodrich@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just got called and a copy i could edit a little would be amazing! Thank you so much!

    katieplawyer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Would you please email me your Music Schedule Planner that I can edit? I love your layout but I need to adjust some songs-

    Thanks!
    Melissabpeterson@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Could you email the editable version. Thank you so, so, much!!!
    Teri.andrus@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was just called as the primary chorister in our ward and your 2011 planner is so helpful! Would you please email me the editable version at janellsalmon@hotmail.com. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you soo much! Would you email the editable version also? My email is kjadams@cox.net.
    THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Could I also get the pdf? Please - cpkp@juno.com

    Thanks!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete